Thursday, January 26, 2006

Oprah Does The Right Thing

I have to give Oprah Winfrey credit. She went on her show to say, loudly, Mea Culpa! That is something author James Frey* (his real name and unfortunately also the name of another author who does NOT lie for a living. I hope they sort it out via middle initials.) pointedly did NOT do on the Larry King show as he defended his version of the truth. Oprah obviously read my blog and had a change of heart! Okay, she probably read a smattering of the invective being hurled by some very fine writers in newspaper columns all over the country. But my point is, her media empire is vast enough, and audience entrenched enough, that she doesn't have to apologize to anyone. The fact that she'd bother to do so says she cares about her credibility. She even admitted to being embarrasssed at this whole thing. That is just so rarely heard from a celebrity of any kind, much less one of her stature. I'm a little bit amazed that Mr. Lying Author appeared on the show again soley for the purpose of being browbeaten by Oprah, columnist Richard Cohen, and others. He said he had "made mistakes," and when Oprah pressed him on it, even admitted to making mistakes AND lying. Granted, this second Oprah appearance will guarantee even MORE book sales. But honestly, the book was doing so well, fueled first by the book club selection, and now by the controversy, that the second show wasn't really necessary. I'm wondering if his publisher, Doubleday's Nan Talese, threatened to apply a very hot poker to his private parts. They are in major damage control mode. Now that financial success is guaranteed, apparently Nan would STILL like to maintain a shred of credibility. Hard to do when your own husband, Gay Talese, is doing the rounds on national TV basically disagreeing with you. Some have even suggested that the publisher may have subtly nudged Mr. Frey along the duplicitous path he ultimately took. Who knows! Wouldn't surprise me. I would really like the publisher to add a note at the end of the book. "Based on a true story." My brother called me this afternoon to ask if I knew anything about this "Frey guy" and why Oprah was interviewing him, and why he looked so uncomfortable. I said, "Read my blog!" But it also gave me a chance to flick on CBS and catch part of Oprah's show. Yes, it was fun watching Frey agree with everyone that he was, in fact, a big fat liar. I mean really, a root canal with no novocaine? I don't know too many non-Nazi dentists who would do that. So Oprah, from me to you, I'm sorry for calling you the country's most prominent enabler. I am heartened to see you stand up for Truth, Justice AND the American Way. Just like Superman would. As to Mr. Frey's book, well, heating oil prices are high. I hear a lot of people are buying wood-burning stoves. Let's put his book to good use!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking to figure out a place to begin with the Acai free trial & was just wanting to know if anyone had some thoughts on whether or not it works to lose weight? So far here's the one [url=http://acaiberries.zoomblog.com/]article[/url] I've been able to read that seemed realistic for what my goals are. Opinions?

3/22/2010 01:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey All,

Here's the most informative internet sites I have found so far about dieting and weight loss info. Her story at [url=http://suesdiary.info]Sues Diary[/url] is inspirational at the very least.

4/01/2010 08:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used that stuff at [url=http://suesdiary.info]Sues Diary[/url] myself. I tried the colon cleanse and had great results.

Bri :)

4/02/2010 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lululemon, tn pas cher, hollister pas cher, michael kors, ray ban pas cher, coach outlet, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, ray ban uk, air jordan pas cher, sac longchamp, coach purses, michael kors, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louboutin pas cher, lacoste pas cher, true religion jeans, oakley pas cher, air force, ralph lauren uk, air max, nike free, mulberry, true religion jeans, michael kors, new balance pas cher, north face, michael kors, sac guess, burberry, coach outlet, vanessa bruno, hollister, longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, nike air max, nike roshe run, converse pas cher, north face, abercrombie and fitch, hogan, hermes, true religion jeans, timberland, nike blazer, nike free run uk, nike air max, ralph lauren pas cher, coach factory outlet, ray ban sunglasses

9/30/2015 01:40:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

air jordan 13
longchamp handbags outlet
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin outlet
cyber monday 2015
cheap ugg boots
moncler outlet store
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet
calvin klein outlet
coach outlet online
oakley canada
fitflop sale
golden state warriors
chanel handbags outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
prada outlet online
michael kors handbags wholesale
tommy hilfiger
1125minko

11/25/2015 04:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home